2 lbs bison ribs
1 cup onion, diced
1/4 cup garlic, chopped
4 bay leaves
4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 bottle dry red wine
1. Season ribs with cayenne and thyme, cover and let it rest in the fridge overnight.
2. Take ribs out of the fridge, season it liberally with sea salt and let it come to room temperature.
3. Pre-heat the oven to 325F. Coat the bottom of a large Dutch oven with plenty of olive oil and let it heat up to a smoking point.
4. Searing the meat is the most important step of this process, so don't rush it and don't crowd the pan. Sear the meat in batches, and on all four sides.
5.Remove browned ribs from the pan and add the diced onions and garlic to the pan. Cook until soft and translucent.
6.Add the bay leaves, vinegar, 4 sprigs of thyme, sea salt, cayenne pepper and the red wine.
7. Add the ribs back in, meaty side down. Cover the pan, and put it in the oven.
8. Check them for doneness in about 3 hours. The meat should yield to a fork easily.
9. You can let the meat rest for 10 minutes and serve it as is, or place ribs in a cookie sheet and broil them for a few minutes.