Servings: 6 personal pies
1 lb pastured/grass fed ground beef (70/30 or 80/20)
1 small Spanish onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 cup canned diced tomatoes (I use Muir Glenn's Organic Fire Roasted for extra depth of flavor).
Olive or coconut oil for sautéing
1. Sauté onions and garlic until soft.
2. Add the ground beef and brown it, making sure to break it up.
3. Add all other ingredients, reduce heat to low, cover and let it simmer for about 15 min.
4. Taste it and add salt and pepper as needed and remove bay leaves.
Butternut Squash Dough
1/4 cup organic butternut squash purée
3 large pastured eggs
3 tbl coconut oil melted and cooled
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1. Mix all ingredients but the coconut flour until thoroughly incorporated.
2.Slowly add the coconut flour, 1 tbsp at a time until the dough thickens.
3. The amount you actually need will depend on the size of the eggs and water content in the pureé.
4. Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Coat a large muffin tin with coconut oil.
5. Place a generous dollop of dough in each, making sure it coats the bottom.
6. Add the filling to your liking (I tend to be quite generous) and cover the filling with another dollop of dough. Drizzle pies with sesame seeds and sea salt.
7. Bake at 350F for 18-22 min., or until golden brown.