It's a scone...It's a biscuit...It's a GF Bacon Chive (Cheddar) Biscone!
Servings:4 Biscones (recipe can be easily doubled to make 8)
1 1/2 cups of almond flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
2 tbsp of grass-fed butter or bacon fat*, frozen
1 large pastured egg
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
5 slices of thick-cut bacon, cooked crispy, cooled and chopped
2 tbsp chives, finely chopped
1/2 cup grass-fed cheddar cheese, shredded (I used Kerrygold Vintage Cheddar)
*Save fat rendered from frying bacon in a mason jar. It will keep for up to a month in the fridge, and it's great for frying eggs, sweet potatoes and veggies.
1. Pre-heat oven to 350F. Mix almond flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
2. Add pieces of frozen butter or bacon fat and use your fingers to work the ingredients together until a crumbly mixture is formed. (Or use the food processor, and pulse together until pea-size pieces form).
3. Whisk egg and vinegar together and slowly work it into the mixture, until the dough comes together.
4. Incorporate chives and chopped bacon (and cheddar, if using).
5. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Transfer dough to the pan, and form a 1-inch thick round with the dough. If dough gets sticky, refrigerate for 15 minutes before handling.
6.Flatten the round and cut it into 4 equal wedges (8 if doubling the recipe) and separate them.
7.Sprinkle with smoked paprika.
8.Bake for 18-24 minutes until golden.